Old 28-10-2007, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Norfolk Island Pine Tree Getting to Big

mstrspy wrote:
Frank: Thanks for posting your picture. My tree isn't particularly
sparse, I just don't want to kiil the tree by topping it. Do I just
cut off the top without doing anything else?

Also, if I top it and it looses branches, eventually it will be bare
won't it? Or will all the new growth come off the sides. As you can
probably tell from my questions, I'm not exactly an expert.

Thanks Again for your help.

All I did was cut off the top. Most of the new growth is there and as
you can see dead bottom branches were cut off leaving the tree shown in
the picture. I'm no expert either but it was either to top or let it
hit the ceiling. I just cut it and let it go. It survived. From a little
googling, I suspect you will get the same result:
http://www.briansgarden.com/2003/02/...-too-tall.html

I also refused to give it a larger pot and have done the same for a
ficus and a gardenia. Plants continue to thrive but if I had my
druthers, I'd ditch the pine but it's my wife's.

Frank