Old 29-10-2007, 06:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Broccoli-cabbage question feedback

"George.com" wrote in message
Thought I would report back on the 'broccoli-cabbage' question I asked

here
a week or so back.

I planted some 'broccoli' seed a workmate gave me. Some of it went fine,
some of it failed to head. After waiting a reasonable time I decided it
wasn't likely broccoli but maybe some form of cabbage. Some help here and
some googling led me to conculde it may have been a collard green or 'tree
cabbage'.

Anyhow, just to be safe I tried it out on the neighbours, warning them
beforehand that it may be a 'strange' cabbage. The verdict, whatever it

was
"not much chop". The leaves were too bitter apparently. The remaining

plants
have now become a temporary mulch waiting for a crop of sweet potato. The
sweet potato tubers I planted in that spot last weekend have all died.

Maybe
karma for trying to poison the neighbour.

rob

the irony, here in New Zealand, is that I talked with the source of the seed
today. He assured me the seeds were indeed broccoli, not cabbage. He had
several that did not head properly either. The neighbours tucked into a
'nice' feed of broccoli leaves last week.

rob