Old 30-10-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Heliconia

I must have missed that one! How big is the plant overall including
the flower spike. It looks very much like Heliconia schiedeana (90%
certain) AKA the 'Fire & Ice Heliconia', so named because its natural
habitat is at high altitude on volcanoes in Central America. I've
tried this and a near relative: Heliconia latispatha in my garden, but
although both species are relatively cold tolerant in winter, they
need a lot of summer heat and humidity to get going again.