Old 31-10-2007, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default New to allotments

In article ,
dave n cally wrote:

hi ive just got an allotment for me and my son who is 9yrs old ive no
idea on gardening or growing stuff . the allotment hasnt been used for
a couple of years and was covered in brambles and weeds ive removed all
of them to ground level and they are now comming back up .iam thinking
of using round up on them now and leaving for a week or so then
spreading some manure over the site then covering it over with plastic
sheeting . i can then get somebody to plough then rotivate it for a
small charge is this a good idea as i want to get it looking workable
a.s.a.p. so my son dosent loose interest [he has a.d.h.d.] i think it
could be great for him giving him a hobby and somwhere to burn off
steam PLSE HELP!!!!!!!

Be advised that Roundup is highly controversial, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup. Any toxic effects would most
likely manifest themselves in your son, who is still in his maturation
process.

I would recommend that you use the no dig, lasagna technique and cover
the allotment with cardboard or several layers of newspaper, cover with
compost (if possible), sprinkle on some bone meal, spread a layer of
manure (to taste), and cover with mulch.

Get a copy of "Teaming with Microbes" (check library), and figure out
what you want to plant in the spring.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley