Old 31-10-2007, 05:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default adding soil around trees?

"z" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 18, 6:15 pm, "Clark..." wrote:

by the way I have plenty of trees with no exposed roots WTF?

The city gave us for free those cheapo compost bins, just a sheet of
heavy vinyl with holes in it that wraps into a cylinder about 3 feet
across by 3 feet high, so they wouldn't have to haul the leaves away.
So, I set it up and stuck all the leaves in there last year, and
grass clippings and banana peels and so on. Anyway by now, it's pretty
composty, so I decided to empty it out now and put this year's leaves
in there. But it was pretty tough digging it out from the top with a
pitchfork, so I just unwrapped the plastic, and it all just stood
there. The tree roots had come up from the ground into the compost and
it's now just a 3X3X3 foot ball of roots with a couple of inches of
compost on top.

You've got some amazing tree roots to do that in one year. I usually go 2 or 3
years before emptying my bins, and they only get a few roots at the very bottom
in that time.

Bob