Old 31-10-2007, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Heliconia

On 30/10/07 19:29, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

I must have missed that one! How big is the plant overall including
the flower spike. It looks very much like Heliconia schiedeana (90%
certain) AKA the 'Fire & Ice Heliconia', so named because its natural
habitat is at high altitude on volcanoes in Central America. I've
tried this and a near relative: Heliconia latispatha in my garden, but
although both species are relatively cold tolerant in winter, they
need a lot of summer heat and humidity to get going again.

Overall Ray reckons it's nearly 6' when in full growth. It's going over
now, of course. I think it's H. schiedana but you'll have to see it if it's
still in flower next time you're here.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk