Old 01-11-2007, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
HettieŽ HettieŽ is offline

Default grow light requirements?

DK1000 wrote:
Hi,

As it's getting nippy here in Cleveland, Ohio, I moved some container plants
from outside to my basement. I attached a pic, the big plants in back are
stevia (which isn't doing too good) and cilantro. Smaller ones are chives,
more stevia, and a green pepper plant. I may want to try some patio tomatoes
too, but I don't have that plant yet. Presently there's 2 15 watt
fluorescent grow lights on the plants, and limited window light. I know I'll
need something a little brighter, but cheap. Any recommendations? Higher
wattage fluorescent tubes? Compact fluorescents? I can't afford HID's and
the like. I probably have about a 5 X 4 foot area right now, but would like
to expand a foot or two each way. Thanks much.

Pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...g?t=1193932304

Without going into a long song and dance about the frame I built with
pvc pipe and two banks of double lights, I had to go on the cheap.

I bought those cheap shop lights at Menard's, then my True Value had a
better price on another pair. Bulbs cost about $6.98 each, have
Sylvania warm and cool 48" and GE Lux something warm and cool. A rose
propagator recommends GE Sunshine, says it is much brighter, but I don't
know where to buy them or how much they cost.

I have the whole system hooked up to a cheap timer from Menard's, bought
a surge protector, and extension cord, all set with some cheap plastic
shelving system (one level) I set my plants on that my son parked in my
garage and then didn't want.

Probably all your plants should be the same distance under the lights.
Yes, I see you will have to compensate somehow because some of those
plants are too large. I would trim some of them down if it won't damage
them.

I don't think that one light you have there is enough, and maybe you can
rig up a reflector (people are using mylar, haven't looked into the
how's of that yet).