Old 01-11-2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default grow light requirements?

Hi,

As it's getting nippy here in Cleveland, Ohio, I moved some container plants
from outside to my basement. I attached a pic, the big plants in back are
stevia (which isn't doing too good) and cilantro. Smaller ones are chives,
more stevia, and a green pepper plant. I may want to try some patio tomatoes
too, but I don't have that plant yet. Presently there's 2 15 watt
fluorescent grow lights on the plants, and limited window light. I know I'll
need something a little brighter, but cheap. Any recommendations? Higher
wattage fluorescent tubes? Compact fluorescents? I can't afford HID's and
the like. I probably have about a 5 X 4 foot area right now, but would like
to expand a foot or two each way. Thanks much.

Pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...g?t=1193932304

Old 01-11-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"DK1000" wrote in message
Hi,

As it's getting nippy here in Cleveland, Ohio, I moved some container
plants from outside to my basement. I attached a pic, the big plants in
back are stevia (which isn't doing too good) and cilantro. Smaller ones
are chives, more stevia, and a green pepper plant. I may want to try some
patio tomatoes too, but I don't have that plant yet. Presently there's 2
15 watt fluorescent grow lights on the plants, and limited window light. I
know I'll need something a little brighter, but cheap. Any
recommendations? Higher wattage fluorescent tubes? Compact fluorescents? I
can't afford HID's and the like. I probably have about a 5 X 4 foot area
right now, but would like to expand a foot or two each way. Thanks much.

Pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...g?t=1193932304

There's a difference between "survive and look pathetic by springtime", and
"thrive". If you want these plants to thrive (especially the tomatoes),
you'll need 1000-2000 watts worth of bulbs. Even then, you won't duplicate
sunlight.

Cheap is not a word that fits into this plan.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

DK1000 wrote:
Hi,

As it's getting nippy here in Cleveland, Ohio, I moved some container plants
from outside to my basement. I attached a pic, the big plants in back are
stevia (which isn't doing too good) and cilantro. Smaller ones are chives,
more stevia, and a green pepper plant. I may want to try some patio tomatoes
too, but I don't have that plant yet. Presently there's 2 15 watt
fluorescent grow lights on the plants, and limited window light. I know I'll
need something a little brighter, but cheap. Any recommendations? Higher
wattage fluorescent tubes? Compact fluorescents? I can't afford HID's and
the like. I probably have about a 5 X 4 foot area right now, but would like
to expand a foot or two each way. Thanks much.

Pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...g?t=1193932304

Without going into a long song and dance about the frame I built with
pvc pipe and two banks of double lights, I had to go on the cheap.

I bought those cheap shop lights at Menard's, then my True Value had a
better price on another pair. Bulbs cost about $6.98 each, have
Sylvania warm and cool 48" and GE Lux something warm and cool. A rose
propagator recommends GE Sunshine, says it is much brighter, but I don't
know where to buy them or how much they cost.

I have the whole system hooked up to a cheap timer from Menard's, bought
a surge protector, and extension cord, all set with some cheap plastic
shelving system (one level) I set my plants on that my son parked in my
garage and then didn't want.

Probably all your plants should be the same distance under the lights.
Yes, I see you will have to compensate somehow because some of those
plants are too large. I would trim some of them down if it won't damage
them.

I don't think that one light you have there is enough, and maybe you can
rig up a reflector (people are using mylar, haven't looked into the
how's of that yet).

Old 01-11-2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:51:48 -0400, "DK1000"
wrote:

Hi,

As it's getting nippy here in Cleveland, Ohio, I moved some container plants
from outside to my basement. I attached a pic, the big plants in back are
stevia (which isn't doing too good) and cilantro. Smaller ones are chives,
more stevia, and a green pepper plant. I may want to try some patio tomatoes
too, but I don't have that plant yet. Presently there's 2 15 watt
fluorescent grow lights on the plants, and limited window light. I know I'll
need something a little brighter, but cheap. Any recommendations? Higher
wattage fluorescent tubes? Compact fluorescents? I can't afford HID's and
the like. I probably have about a 5 X 4 foot area right now, but would like
to expand a foot or two each way. Thanks much.

Pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...g?t=1193932304

I experimented last spring with my seedlings and used compact
flourescents. The data that I could find, which was pretty skimpy,
indicated a fairly broad spectrum so I tried it.

It worked very well. I think one of the advantages is that CF in a
painter's lamp can be placed very, very close to the plants. I will
use them again next spring.

John

Old 09-11-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks all,

I'm trying a bunch of cheap solutions including 75 watt grow lights and 60
watt daylight CFL lights in reflectors in addition to my original lamp. I
also trimmed down the larger plants. I'll see what happens. Not the end of
the world if I lose the plants.

Old 13-11-2007, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

On Nov 1, 11:35 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

There's a difference between "survive and look pathetic by springtime", and
"thrive". If you want these plants to thrive (especially the tomatoes),
you'll need 1000-2000 watts worth of bulbs. Even then, you won't duplicate
sunlight.

Cheap is not a word that fits into this plan.

Amen to that. I started out growing vegetable seedlings in a space in
a public greenhouse. "look pathetic" it was. Next year, added 4 of
those self-stick growlight fluorescent sticks, with timers, etc.
"looks pathetic" again. next year, added a couple of those 4 foot
double fluorescent work lights with the reflector thingie, with the
growlights stuck in there in addition to the regular coolwhite
fluorescents, timers, etc. Still "looks pathetic". Then somebody stole
the whole setup. I'd like to find out who, so I could thank them.

Old 13-11-2007, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"z" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Here (Western NY), our best supermarket chain buys tomatoes from a
greenhouse operation not far away. $2.99 a pound at the most, and they're
passable, for a winter tomato. I'd rather buy those in winter, and not
bother being disappointed with indoor tomatoes, when I know what real tomato
plants are supposed to look like:

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...omatoGiant.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/2766kg

That's what I call a tomato plant. :-)

[IMG] code is On

Light Requirements sneff Orchids 3 11-10-2003 05:22 PM
Determing light requirements... Dan Norgard Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 25-09-2003 02:12 PM
Determing light requirements... Dan Norgard Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 24-09-2003 02:35 AM
Determing light requirements... Dan Norgard Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 24-09-2003 02:30 AM
light requirements for a 20X JEB Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 30-04-2003 09:44 PM