Old 02-11-2007, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Replacement tree

"Then the deep freeze killed all the buds, one was
dead."

How do buds freeze? I thought they super-cooled.
Ref:
Milon F. George; Michael J. Burke Cold Hardiness and Deep Supercooling in
Xylem of Shagbark Hickory Plant Physiol. (1977) 59, 319-325

Something I do not understand is how Xylem super-cools. The xylem is what
the cambium zone produces to the inside. However, by the time fall and
winter comes, the xylem has differentiated and becomes sapwood not xylem.
Kind of confusing.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.