Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com is offline

Default Good trees for climbing or treehouse

On Nov 4, 7:42 pm, Red wrote:
On Nov 2, 9:09 pm, "

wrote:
I need a few choices for a tree with good, strong branches for kids to
climb in or for building a treehouse. It can be evergreen or
deciduous; fast growing preferred, but moderate growth
is allright. The tree can max out at about 25-30' I live in zones
20-21 of the Sunset book which is East of Los Angeles about 30 miles.
Temps usually range from high 30's to over 100 degrees.

Throughout the South several generations back, when children actually
played outdoors, the tree of choice was primarily the Chinaberry tree.
It grew relatively fast (~10 years for child weight bearing), made a
good shade, had fragrant blooms, and produced an abundance of berries
just the right size for a bamboo pea-shooter. Many a "battle" was
fought between kids in trees in adjoining properties.
In wooded areas I still locate old homesites with little-to-no visible
structures simply by looking for Chinaberry trees.
The tree is considered invasive and toxic in some areas, therefore not
desireable. Yet tens of thousands of us grew up playing in these
trees without ill effects.

Red

Hi Red- Are you referring to Melia azedarach? It will grow here but i
believe the berries are poisonous. Oh well. I was in the nursery
industry for many years, but this question was never asked, so i
wasn't knowledgable about what trees were good. Oaks should work but
they grow so darn slow. Ill let my friends know. They might want to re-
think this. Regards.