Old 03-11-2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Good trees for climbing or treehouse

I need a few choices for a tree with good, strong branches for kids to
climb in or for building a treehouse. It can be evergreen or
deciduous; fast growing preferred, but moderate growth
is allright. The tree can max out at about 25-30' I live in zones
20-21 of the Sunset book which is East of Los Angeles about 30 miles.
Temps usually range from high 30's to over 100 degrees.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 3, 5:27 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/2/07 11:09 PM, in article
om,

" wrote:
I need a few choices for atreewith good, strong branches for kids to
climb in or for building atreehouse. It can be evergreen or
deciduous; fast growing preferred, but moderate growth
is allright. Thetreecan max out at about 25-30' I live in zones
20-21 of the Sunset book which is East of Los Angeles about 30 miles.
Temps usually range from high 30's to over 100 degrees.

And just how long are you planning to wait for thistreehousetreeto be
ready for building?

I would say it would be used more for climbing than a treehouse. I'm
actually researching this for my friends. They want a tree for their
son to climb in but also might be used for a treehouse someday if they
decide to build one. Let's assume it's for a treehouse. I guess it
should be something fast growing that maybe in three or four years
might be ready to build a treehouse. That's why i came here for
suggestions. Hopefully this gives you more info to offer ideas.
Regards.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nothing comes to mind. Trees for houses are usually "there" on the land when people
build. We had a couple tree houses built in elms, which of course died in the
plague. There are some good sized maples, but a tree house needs a very thick,
sturdy trunk too or the whole thing can come over. Fast growing trees are not
sturdy.
it is time to think about a fort on stilts with bushes and trees planted around it.
Ingrid

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:43:31 -0700, "

Old 04-11-2007, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
I guess it
should be something fast growing that maybe in three or four years
might be ready to build a treehouse. That's why i came here for
suggestions. Hopefully this gives you more info to offer ideas.

Unless you/they are willing to pay substantial amounts of money to have a
very large tree brought in I think you are out of luck as regards tree
houses for a child already born. It's not too early to be planning for the
grandkids treehouse, though.

I have purchased trees this large in the past so it can be done. You need to
contact a local nursery to find out what size trees are available, go for
the largest they can offer, and wait 3 or more years for it to get well
established.

How old are these kids now??

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 05-11-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 4, 5:42 am, "Buderschnookie" wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

One kid is 5 and the other is one year old. I think they would rather
have a tree for climbing. I think several oak species would work but
they grow too slowly. I'll keep researching. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

"shareyourknowle wrote:
"Buderschnookie" wrote:
shareyourknowle wrote:
[...]

Have you ever actually sat and watched a tree grow? Even the fastest
growers suitable for climbing will need some 50 years to go from
respectable sapling to climbable, add another 50 years for it to
support a tree house. You're much too old, even your children are too
old, but if you plant say a sycamore now your grand children might
enjoy climbing it's branches and their children may be able to have a
tree house among it's limbs. And sycamores grow relatively fast,
become very large, and for a fast grower are exceptionally sturdy
wooded. But regardless what tree you plant there are never any
guarantees it will survive (it's a living thing after all), so you
should consider planting a few, and for such treess to give them teh
best opportunity to fulfill your wishes you need to be prepared to
devote a minimum of as full unobstructed 1/4 acre per tree, and even
if it thrives it may not grow with a configuration suitable for your
wishes, not even with the most professional care/pruning. And trees
are naturally susceptible to all sorts of diseases, and they are at
the mercy of the weather... some yesrs you'll actually see noticeable
growth, some years so little growth you'll be hard pressed to say for
sure if it grew even an inch and some years trees actually lose some
stature, storms can wreak havoc on tree limbs.

I think your best bet is to head down to your local lumber yard and
there you will find How To books for back yard climbables, gym sets of
all type/sizes and club houses and combo units. Thinking you will
plant a tree now for your kids to climb you have to truly believe you
are on another planet, in some other far away galaxy.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 2, 9:09 pm, "
wrote:
I need a few choices for a tree with good, strong branches for kids to
climb in or for building a treehouse. It can be evergreen or
deciduous; fast growing preferred, but moderate growth
is allright. The tree can max out at about 25-30' I live in zones
20-21 of the Sunset book which is East of Los Angeles about 30 miles.
Temps usually range from high 30's to over 100 degrees.

Throughout the South several generations back, when children actually
played outdoors, the tree of choice was primarily the Chinaberry tree.
It grew relatively fast (~10 years for child weight bearing), made a
good shade, had fragrant blooms, and produced an abundance of berries
just the right size for a bamboo pea-shooter. Many a "battle" was
fought between kids in trees in adjoining properties.
In wooded areas I still locate old homesites with little-to-no visible
structures simply by looking for Chinaberry trees.
The tree is considered invasive and toxic in some areas, therefore not
desireable. Yet tens of thousands of us grew up playing in these
trees without ill effects.

Red

Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 4, 7:42 pm, Red wrote:
On Nov 2, 9:09 pm, "

wrote:
[...]

Hi Red- Are you referring to Melia azedarach? It will grow here but i
believe the berries are poisonous. Oh well. I was in the nursery
industry for many years, but this question was never asked, so i
wasn't knowledgable about what trees were good. Oaks should work but
they grow so darn slow. Ill let my friends know. They might want to re-
think this. Regards.