Old 11-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Helen R Helen R is offline
Registered User

Location: York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas View Post
Hi ti you all.

I laid a seeded turf lawn a month ago and have noticed in the last week that it has about a dozen small patches (around 4" circles) of what looks like mildew.It also has that earthey smell that a associate with mildew.

I live in the South-east of England.
The lawn is East facing and only 50 square metres in size.It dosn`t have any obvious shaded areas,though it dosn`t get a great deal of sun this time of the year anyway.

I never had this problem with my old lawn.(which was mainly weeds anyway.)

Can anybody give me any ideas of the cause of this.

Might it be something else ?

Should it be treated with a fungiside ?

Hope some of you seasoned experts can point me in the right direction on this one.

Thanks. Bas.
It sounds like it might be Fusarium Patch Disease which is quite common in the UK at this time of year. It occurs when the weather is relatively mild and humid and will cause yellow-brown patches to appear. However the mycelium are more like cotton wool or cobwebs than mildew. As far as I'm aware fungicides aren't available for use on domestic lawns. The effects can often be short lived and the disease may return again as soon as conditions are suitable. A sharp frost will check the disease naturally without resorting to using chemicals.

Applying nitrogen will exacerbate the problem, so if you do need to feed then make sure it's an autumn/winter food which is low in nitrogen.

HTH
Helen

http://www.rolawn.co.uk