Old 06-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Bas Bas is offline
Registered User

Default Mildew on new lawn.

Hi ti you all.

I laid a seeded turf lawn a month ago and have noticed in the last week that it has about a dozen small patches (around 4" circles) of what looks like mildew.It also has that earthey smell that a associate with mildew.

I live in the South-east of England.
The lawn is East facing and only 50 square metres in size.It dosn`t have any obvious shaded areas,though it dosn`t get a great deal of sun this time of the year anyway.

I never had this problem with my old lawn.(which was mainly weeds anyway.)

Can anybody give me any ideas of the cause of this.

Might it be something else ?

Should it be treated with a fungiside ?

Hope some of you seasoned experts can point me in the right direction on this one.

Thanks. Bas.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Bas wrote:
Hi ti you all.

I laid a seeded turf lawn a month ago and have noticed in the last week
that it has about a dozen small patches (around 4" circles) of what
looks like mildew.It also has that earthey smell that a associate with
mildew.

I live in the South-east of England.
The lawn is East facing and only 50 square metres in size.It dosn`t
have any obvious shaded areas,though it dosn`t get a great deal of sun
this time of the year anyway.

I never had this problem with my old lawn.(which was mainly weeds
anyway.)

Can anybody give me any ideas of the cause of this.

Might it be something else ?

When you say mildew, does it look like powdery mildew?

http://tinyurl.com/yqss5y

Or does it look like slime?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

-
When you say mildew, does it look like powdery mildew?

http://tinyurl.com/yqss5y

Or does it look like slime?

Cheers Steveo.

The picture looks pretty close to the problem.

Had a good look this morning and in the areas effected the grass is
yellow/brown,a bit Slimey and dead.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

--
Bas- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like it could be dollar spot? One factor that favors dollar
spot is low nitrogen, but if it's been seeded a month ago, you should
have put down starter fertilizer, so there should be enough nitrogen.

I don;t think I would do anything at this point, except keep an eye on
it and apply some more nitrogren sooner than normal. Starter
fertilizer should be about gone in about 6 weeks from when you applied
it, so a light additional fertilization with a Fall type fertilizer
sometime soon shouldn't hurt at this time of year, as the even worse
diseases which could be fueled by nitrogen are not active at lower
temps. And with declining temps, if you get below 50, even the dollar
spot, if that's what it is, should go away.

Another factor is watering. DS and most other fungus diseases are
favored by wet grass. You have no choice when seeding, but going
into month 2, you should be cutting back the watering to less
frequent, more depth, and not leaving it wet at night.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
On Nov 7, 3:26 am, Bas wrote:
Steveo;758460 Wrote:

Bas wrote:-
[...]

How could one confuse powdery mildew for dollar spot? They look nothing at
all similar.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Bas Bas is offline
Registered User

[/i][/color]
Hi Bas

Where do you live?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/[/quote]

I live in South/East England Steveo...
Old 11-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered User

Location: York, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas View Post
Hi ti you all.

I laid a seeded turf lawn a month ago and have noticed in the last week that it has about a dozen small patches (around 4" circles) of what looks like mildew.It also has that earthey smell that a associate with mildew.

I live in the South-east of England.
The lawn is East facing and only 50 square metres in size.It dosn`t have any obvious shaded areas,though it dosn`t get a great deal of sun this time of the year anyway.

I never had this problem with my old lawn.(which was mainly weeds anyway.)

Can anybody give me any ideas of the cause of this.

Might it be something else ?

Should it be treated with a fungiside ?

Hope some of you seasoned experts can point me in the right direction on this one.

Thanks. Bas.
It sounds like it might be Fusarium Patch Disease which is quite common in the UK at this time of year. It occurs when the weather is relatively mild and humid and will cause yellow-brown patches to appear. However the mycelium are more like cotton wool or cobwebs than mildew. As far as I'm aware fungicides aren't available for use on domestic lawns. The effects can often be short lived and the disease may return again as soon as conditions are suitable. A sharp frost will check the disease naturally without resorting to using chemicals.

Applying nitrogen will exacerbate the problem, so if you do need to feed then make sure it's an autumn/winter food which is low in nitrogen.

HTH
__________________
Helen

-----------------------------

http://www.rolawn.co.uk
Old 12-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Bas Bas is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen R View Post
It sounds like it might be Fusarium Patch Disease which is quite common in the UK at this time of year. It occurs when the weather is relatively mild and humid and will cause yellow-brown patches to appear. However the mycelium are more like cotton wool or cobwebs than mildew. As far as I'm aware fungicides aren't available for use on domestic lawns. The effects can often be short lived and the disease may return again as soon as conditions are suitable. A sharp frost will check the disease naturally without resorting to using chemicals.

Applying nitrogen will exacerbate the problem, so if you do need to feed then make sure it's an autumn/winter food which is low in nitrogen.

HTH
Thanks Helen.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

It`s now improving and a couple of frosts are forcast this week so hopefully that will sort it out.

Thanks to all for your help.

Bas.

when mildew isn't mildew T[_4_] Edible Gardening 1 16-08-2016 06:09 AM
Mildew on new Turf Bas United Kingdom 11 09-11-2007 02:11 PM
mildew on roses Theresa Chao Roses 4 08-04-2003 03:56 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
DOWNEY MILDEW rosy Roses 4 13-02-2003 05:25 PM