Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
how how is offline

Default Mini palm question

Paul O." wrote in message
. net...
Last winter after a rare freeze I rescued a neighbors palm they were
throwing away. It is one of those little ones that have several grafts on
it. This one has 4 palms growing off the same stalk. Can I cut off any of
these grafts without killing either the main stalk or the ones I cut off?
I suppose any I cut off won't have any of the roots, so maybe they will be
done for, but I'd like to end up with just two palms on the stalk.

Hi,
Palms are never grafted and not many can be layered. Also, very few species
have actual branches. If this plant has one trunk emerging from the soil and
other palms growing from this, then perhaps it was damaged from the cold and
the bud has split and produced other stems. This can happen. If you cut
these off they will die. I am suspecting that perhaps it is not a palm. Post
a pic to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens if possible for an id.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good