Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.ponds
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default Ping: Kurt - The "sillybug" goldfish list.

"Kurt" wrote in message
(*From the other group. Posted here, unabridged, in case the abridged
version doesn't get through.)
I shy away from PCs, so I use the excellent MTNewswatcher on our Macs.

======================
A lot of people on rec.ponds at the time had no idea how to use a killfile.
But as was explained that doesn't work when the trolls are using other
poster's names and email addresses, forging IP numbers, using anonymous
remailers and software that flooded the group with thousands of posts a day.
Some of those posts were so profane and depraved they alone drove people
away.

As long as the posters who wouldn't do what he demanded of them at the time,
and I myself remain on these pond groups, the troll who destroyed rec.ponds
will keep up his attacks on the pond group. I have no control over his
obsessive behavior.

The first Goldfish list died (it wasn't destroyed) when the man known as
"Sillybug" who ran it lost interest in the list and there was no one else to
take it over. I was fairly new to computers and didn't understand how a
list worked. We also had a poster constantly spamming the list for her
friend's goldfish business that people, *myself included* were objecting to.
When some of us complained about the spamming she decided to start her own
goldfish list. Sillybug simply lost interest in running the list and some
months later, perhaps a year later, he moved on. At the time he abandoned
the list we were getting as many as 75 to 150 messages a day.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.