Old 13-11-2007, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner[_2_] William Wagner[_2_] is offline

Default Split Hosta?

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 11/13/07 8:01 AM, in article ,
"Ann" wrote:

William Wagner expounded:

Our oak leaves just won't fall or is it just a task I want to have done.

Some oaks hang onto their leaves until late winter, at least around
here. They're usually the last to drop.

The ones in my backyard usually don't drop until the new ones are ready to
bud out. Same species in the front will drop in March.

Our Black oaks usually are down by Nov 15. The white oaks drop some
but most linger on to spring. Some folks call black oaks red oaks. Our
forest is mainly oak with a few pines. 90 % black as an estimate. 10 %
white. The white pine were introduced in the last 60 years with a few
exceptions. I planted a chinese black pine 30 years ago but have never
found a seedling.
We live about 1 mile from the boundary labeled the pine barrens. I
think our forest reflects our soil which is sandy loam. 8 miles away
pines rule as does sand.

Right now our leaf cover looks like spring with muddy colors.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade