Old 12-11-2007, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Split Hosta?

I am in the midwest US, and need to split some hosta plants at the roots.

Should it be done, say, this week? Or wait 'till next spring??

Thx,
"Puddin' Of The Dark-Grey Thumb"

"Well, there's two trains runnin'.
Ain't neither one goin' my way.
One run at midnight,
the other run just before day."
- from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949
Old 12-11-2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
news

I am in the midwest US, and need to split some hosta plants at the roots.

Should it be done, say, this week? Or wait 'till next spring??

I'm in zone 5, Western NY (cold cold cold), and I've done it both ways. I
lean toward spring, though, because I'll probably cook up garden ideas
during the winter and won't like where I stuck the plants 6 months earlier.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
news

I am in the midwest US, and need to split some hosta plants at the roots.

Should it be done, say, this week? Or wait 'till next spring??

I'm in zone 5, Western NY (cold cold cold), and I've done it both ways. I
lean toward spring, though, because I'll probably cook up garden ideas
during the winter and won't like where I stuck the plants 6 months earlier.

Sound advice. We take new plants propagated newbies and let them grow
in our nurseries. Think halfway houses. I'd split when I feel like it.

50 F and damp to the bone here.

Our oak leaves just won't fall or is it just a task I want to have done.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 12-11-2007, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
news

I am in the midwest US, and need to split some hosta plants at the
roots.

Should it be done, say, this week? Or wait 'till next spring??

I'm in zone 5, Western NY (cold cold cold), and I've done it both ways. I
lean toward spring, though, because I'll probably cook up garden ideas
during the winter and won't like where I stuck the plants 6 months
earlier.

Sound advice. We take new plants propagated newbies and let them grow
in our nurseries. Think halfway houses. I'd split when I feel like it.

50 F and damp to the bone here.

Our oak leaves just won't fall or is it just a task I want to have done.

Bill

Same here, sort of. I live 1/2 mile from Lake Ontario, and leaves are
falling. A friend lives a block from the water, and it's keeping her
neighborhood just warm enough that the trees think it's September.

Old 13-11-2007, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:40:46 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
news
[...]

I live on a street called "Oak Hill". Oaks everywhere.

Some have turned. Some still green. Some have shed leaves.
A few will keep (dead) leaves 'till Feb. This year, due
to a bad spring frost, some produced acorns, some not.

I've given up on predicting what they do. Strongly suspect
there are more strains of oak than you can shake a stick at.
At least hereabouts.

Thanks,

Old 13-11-2007, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

William Wagner expounded:

Our oak leaves just won't fall or is it just a task I want to have done.

Some oaks hang onto their leaves until late winter, at least around
here. They're usually the last to drop.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 14-11-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

My vote would be to do it in the spring. I live in Zone 6 (Western CO) and
found out by accident that hostas divide and transplant well in the spring.
In April two years ago, our neighbor replaced his fence. I had a bed of
hostas growing on my side of the fence and in the process, the fence crew
dug up some of them. I just put them in buckets of water for a week or two
until the work was done and then replanted them. They did great and didn't
even act as though they had been disturbed. Now, two years later, the
hostas are bigger and more robust than ever, much to my surprise.
Previously, I was under the impression that they didn't like to be messed
with.

news

Old 14-11-2007, 12:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Gary" expounded:

Previously, I was under the impression that they didn't like to be messed
with.

As you found out they don't mind it at all. They can be moved most
anytime, but this late in the season I'd wait.

I left clumps of hosta roots out on a cement ledge years ago - over
the winter; I forgot about them as I dug them in a frenzy of energy
two days before the birth of my first son! He was born in September,
the following April I found what I'd left, and to my surprise they
were alive! I immediately planted them and they thrived, and have
been divided to share with other gardening friends.

Old 15-11-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

You could move that late in pregnancy! I surely couldn't, especially with
#2. The nesting thing was all - move this, move that. No, don't dust, a
sneeze could kill me!

I could always move, I'm a fidget G My ankles were the size of my
thighs, but I had to get *everything* done, and that included moving
those damned hostas ) Believe me, I was huge, the day I delivered I
weighed 184 lbs - from 119 pre-pregnancy (I was almost toxic, it was
mostly fluid). Ah, those were the days! :::eyeroll:::
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked

[IMG] code is On

What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (0/1) Big Time Gardening 18 14-06-2004 12:03 AM
What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (1/1) Big Time Gardening 6 11-06-2004 02:02 AM
Strawberries in tub split?? [email protected] United Kingdom 5 03-07-2003 08:42 AM
Split tree trunk bthache Gardening 1 30-05-2003 04:09 PM
Plantex CSM split..... used in making PMDD Cannibul Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:20 AM