Old 13-11-2007, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default grow light requirements?

"z" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 1, 11:35 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

There's a difference between "survive and look pathetic by springtime",
and
"thrive". If you want these plants to thrive (especially the tomatoes),
you'll need 1000-2000 watts worth of bulbs. Even then, you won't
duplicate
sunlight.

Cheap is not a word that fits into this plan.

Amen to that. I started out growing vegetable seedlings in a space in
a public greenhouse. "look pathetic" it was. Next year, added 4 of
those self-stick growlight fluorescent sticks, with timers, etc.
"looks pathetic" again. next year, added a couple of those 4 foot
double fluorescent work lights with the reflector thingie, with the
growlights stuck in there in addition to the regular coolwhite
fluorescents, timers, etc. Still "looks pathetic". Then somebody stole
the whole setup. I'd like to find out who, so I could thank them.

Here (Western NY), our best supermarket chain buys tomatoes from a
greenhouse operation not far away. $2.99 a pound at the most, and they're
passable, for a winter tomato. I'd rather buy those in winter, and not
bother being disappointed with indoor tomatoes, when I know what real tomato
plants are supposed to look like:

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...omatoGiant.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/2766kg