Old 14-11-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gary Gary is offline

Default Split Hosta?

My vote would be to do it in the spring. I live in Zone 6 (Western CO) and
found out by accident that hostas divide and transplant well in the spring.
In April two years ago, our neighbor replaced his fence. I had a bed of
hostas growing on my side of the fence and in the process, the fence crew
dug up some of them. I just put them in buckets of water for a week or two
until the work was done and then replanted them. They did great and didn't
even act as though they had been disturbed. Now, two years later, the
hostas are bigger and more robust than ever, much to my surprise.
Previously, I was under the impression that they didn't like to be messed
with.

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
news

I am in the midwest US, and need to split some hosta plants at the roots.

Should it be done, say, this week? Or wait 'till next spring??

Thx,
"Puddin' Of The Dark-Grey Thumb"

"Well, there's two trains runnin'.
Ain't neither one goin' my way.
One run at midnight,
the other run just before day."
- from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949