Old 14-11-2007, 12:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Split Hosta?

"Gary" expounded:

Previously, I was under the impression that they didn't like to be messed
with.

As you found out they don't mind it at all. They can be moved most
anytime, but this late in the season I'd wait.

I left clumps of hosta roots out on a cement ledge years ago - over
the winter; I forgot about them as I dug them in a frenzy of energy
two days before the birth of my first son! He was born in September,
the following April I found what I'd left, and to my surprise they
were alive! I immediately planted them and they thrived, and have
been divided to share with other gardening friends.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts