Old 14-11-2007, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default useful zone map

In article ,
Emery Davis writes:
| I've just been pointed at a US-style zone map of the British Isles. I
| hadn't seen this before, and as zone information is often cited, thought
| it might be useful.
|
| http://www.trebrown.com/hrdzone.html
|
| YMMV of course, and clearly it is difficult to talk about zones with much
| sense in the UK.

As, indeed, that page explains. Or does, partially.

Its statement "The noticeable differences are to be seen in our zones
10a & 9b" is quite simply hogwash. They apply to all of the country.
According to that, Cambridge is in zone 8b, but we cannot grow most of
the plants that are hardy in zone 8a but not in zone 7b in the USA!

It also considerably understates the reasons for the difference.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.