Old 15-11-2007, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default who else is growing ginger ?

On Nov 15, 8:48 am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,sajid writes:

| i wonder if anyone else in u.k have been growing ginger this season? I
| started the ginger rhizome pretty late in the season in a container and
| i had good results, here is my method of growing ginger.

Congratulations!

I did, but failed dismally. It grew some weedy shoots, and I threw
it out. My problem was finding somewhere warm enough that was not
in full sun and liable to dry out quickly.

I don't think the summer was really warm enough for it this year.
Grows best in the warm end of a greenhouse with lots of moisture, heat
& light. Mine is doing OK, but it isn't ever going to be a worthwhile
crop. But it is quite a nice exotic looking foliage plant on the stems
that are left to grow. The rhizome never gets massively bigger for me
like it would in the tropics. But worth growing for the fresh young
ginger stems that when boiled are delicious if you like that sort of
thing. Much more tender and aromatic than anything you can buy.

| here is the link with pictures from start to finish
|http://tinyurl.com/24s7vh

They aren't visible to casual visitors. I am signed up to too many
things to want to add more.

AOLMe too./AOL

Regards,
Martin Brown