Old 15-11-2007, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default pruning

Charlie Pridham writes
In article ,
says...
Hi all
I need some advice as to when and how to prune the following-

lavender
hydrangea
buddleia
clematis
small bush rose
climbing rose

all produced lots of flowers this year. Do I need to feed now or next spring

TIA

Hydrangea - do nothing now, remove spent flowers back to a pair of buds
in spring.
Buddleja take a third off now and hard prune in spring.
Clematis - depends on which type, if in doubt wait until early march,
look closly at shoot tips and if you see flower buds leave it alone,
otherwise hard prune.
Bush rose remove around half
Climbing rose prune back to main frame work

Lavender - can prune now, but seeds attract goldfinches if you leave it
till spring to prune. Either way, don't cut back too hard (only as far
as you can still see green shoots) because it may not re-shoot. Lots of
people will now tell you they cut there's back to the ground with no
problem, but equally there's lots of people (eg my neighbour) who lost
all their lavender after a too-vigorous prune.
--
Kay