Old 15-11-2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Mike Patterson Mike Patterson is offline

Default water lily propagation

Wouldn't it work better to divide whle they're dormant?

I'm going to need to divide a couple of mine (my first time) this
year, Anyone got a link to info on how to do it?

TIA
Mike

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:39:01 CST, San Diego Joe
wrote:

"sb_mag" wrote:

Hello all -
I'm a new member to this group so this probably has been discussed
previously.
All my lilies are in half barrels and two of the hardy lilies have
grown into monsters - tubers growing outside a jam packed pot, etc.
What time of year is best for cutting the tubers?
I'm in Southern California, should I wait until spring, then
propagate, or cut the tubers now and repot?
Any help on taming these monsters would be greatly appreciated.
Martha

Hi Martha,

Your lilies will go dormant soon, although mine seem to be still going like
crazy. The best time to divide, IMHO, is in spring right after they have
broken dormancy.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin