Old 14-11-2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default water lily propagation

Hello all -
I'm a new member to this group so this probably has been discussed
previously.
All my lilies are in half barrels and two of the hardy lilies have
grown into monsters - tubers growing outside a jam packed pot, etc.
What time of year is best for cutting the tubers?
I'm in Southern California, should I wait until spring, then
propagate, or cut the tubers now and repot?
Any help on taming these monsters would be greatly appreciated.
Martha

Old 14-11-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"sb_mag" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all -
I'm a new member to this group so this probably has been discussed
previously.
All my lilies are in half barrels and two of the hardy lilies have
grown into monsters - tubers growing outside a jam packed pot, etc.
What time of year is best for cutting the tubers?
I'm in Southern California, should I wait until spring, then
propagate, or cut the tubers now and repot?
Any help on taming these monsters would be greatly appreciated.
Martha

============================
I also have hardy water lilies in barrels. I divide the tubers in the early
spring and repot at that time.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-11-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"sb_mag" wrote:

Hello all -
I'm a new member to this group so this probably has been discussed
previously.
All my lilies are in half barrels and two of the hardy lilies have
grown into monsters - tubers growing outside a jam packed pot, etc.
What time of year is best for cutting the tubers?
I'm in Southern California, should I wait until spring, then
propagate, or cut the tubers now and repot?
Any help on taming these monsters would be greatly appreciated.
Martha

Hi Martha,

Your lilies will go dormant soon, although mine seem to be still going like
crazy. The best time to divide, IMHO, is in spring right after they have
broken dormancy.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 15-11-2007, 12:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:31:41 CST, sb_mag wrote:

Hello all -
I'm a new member to this group so this probably has been discussed
previously.
All my lilies are in half barrels and two of the hardy lilies have
grown into monsters - tubers growing outside a jam packed pot, etc.
What time of year is best for cutting the tubers?
I'm in Southern California, should I wait until spring, then
propagate, or cut the tubers now and repot?
Any help on taming these monsters would be greatly appreciated.
Martha

In S.California, anytime. I usually divide in spring, only because I'm
tired by fall and don't want to mess with cold water. But if I had the
energy I'd probably divide in fall after the lilies have slowed down so
they wouldn't have to be disturbed in early spring. IMHO, you can divide
anytime, but best in spring or fall when you won't slow down their strong
growth in summer. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 15-11-2007, 05:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

If I wait until spring the koi will have removed all the dirt and gravel out of the
lily pot over winter and I just have to lift the lily out and cut away. LOL. Ingrid

Old 15-11-2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:31:41 CST, sb_mag wrote:

What time of year is best for cutting the tubers?

Hardy water lilies are tough and you may repot any time of the year.
I find it more convenient when the water is warmer and the season for
growth is ready to begin, because I like to fertilize once a year with
a high potassium slow release fertilizer for more blooms.

I raise lotus in half barrel size pots and dump the pots when the
first shoot appears on top in the spring. Last year it was the end of
February for me. That starts my lotus season and lilies follow as
warm days present themselves.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 15-11-2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

sb_mag wrote:

All my lilies are in half barrels and two of the hardy lilies have
grown into monsters - tubers growing outside a jam packed pot, etc.
What time of year is best for cutting the tubers?
I'm in Southern California, should I wait until spring, then
propagate, or cut the tubers now and repot?

About 30 years ago I planted 4 water lilies in an old swimming pool that
was spring fed. The colored lilies had died but the white lily had
taken over then entire 15' x 45' pool. About 5 years ago we decided to
redo the pool and make a proper pond out of it. When we drained the
pool, the water lily looked like a single 2" black pipe that ran all
over the pool. It must have been at least 200' long. I broke it into
pieces 6 to 10 inches long. I threw out pieces with no nodes (eyes) and
pieces with rot (soft spots). We drained the pool when the lilies were
dormant in the fall. I placed these pieces in a closed plastic bag with
damp peat moss in a cool dark area. I wanted humidity but not moisture.
In the spring when the pond was finished and filling up with water, I
potted up a dozen of these pieces and they all became good lilies. Now
I inspect them each spring to make sure they aren't trying to break out
of the kidney shaped lily pots I use and put a 12 month fertilizer spike
in each pot.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Old 15-11-2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Wouldn't it work better to divide whle they're dormant?

I'm going to need to divide a couple of mine (my first time) this
year, Anyone got a link to info on how to do it?

TIA
Mike

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:39:01 CST, San Diego Joe
wrote:

"sb_mag" wrote:

Hello all -
I'm a new member to this group so this probably has been discussed
previously.
All my lilies are in half barrels and two of the hardy lilies have
grown into monsters - tubers growing outside a jam packed pot, etc.
What time of year is best for cutting the tubers?
I'm in Southern California, should I wait until spring, then
propagate, or cut the tubers now and repot?
Any help on taming these monsters would be greatly appreciated.
Martha

Hi Martha,

Your lilies will go dormant soon, although mine seem to be still going like
crazy. The best time to divide, IMHO, is in spring right after they have
broken dormancy.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Old 15-11-2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Nov 15, 7:40 am, Stephen Henning wrote:
About 30 years ago I planted 4 water lilies in an old swimming pool that
was spring fed. The colored lilies had died but the white lily had
taken over then entire 15' x 45' pool.

Thank you to everybody that wrote in with advice.
Now if only I could buy a house with a swimming pool....

Old 16-11-2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
sb_mag wrote:

On Nov 15, 7:40 am, Stephen Henning wrote:
About 30 years ago I planted 4 water lilies in an old swimming pool that
was spring fed. The colored lilies had died but the white lily had
taken over then entire 15' x 45' pool.

Thank you to everybody that wrote in with advice.
Now if only I could buy a house with a swimming pool....

Hindsight is 20/20. Our house had a filled-in (sand and gravel, but did
not drain!) swimming pool that filled much of the yard. Was 9ft deep
with small shallow end. Dug it out, broke down sides, and filled with
earth and topsoil. Now have large lemon tree in center and a lot grass
and plantings.

Old 16-11-2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

sb_mag wrote:

Hello all -
I'm a new member to this group so this probably has been discussed
previously.
All my lilies are in half barrels and two of the hardy lilies have
grown into monsters - tubers growing outside a jam packed pot, etc.
What time of year is best for cutting the tubers?
I'm in Southern California, should I wait until spring, then
propagate, or cut the tubers now and repot?

Now's good, though my experience with those monsters is that it doesn't
matter! When they're that healthy, dividing them in mid-summer hardly even
slows them down.
--
derek

Old 17-11-2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message

Hindsight is 20/20. Our house had a filled-in (sand and gravel, but did
not drain!) swimming pool that filled much of the yard. Was 9ft deep
with small shallow end. Dug it out, broke down sides, and filled with
earth and topsoil. Now have large lemon tree in center and a lot grass
and plantings.

You could have dug it out, tossed a liner in it, and had yourself one heck
of a pond. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.