Old 16-11-2007, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug doug is offline

Default pruning

"DB01" wrote in message
Hi all
I need some advice as to when and how to prune the following-

lavender
hydrangea
buddleia
clematis
small bush rose
climbing rose

all produced lots of flowers this year. Do I need to feed now or next

spring

TIA

---------------------------------

Most people just chop off in autumn about a foot or less above ground.
This method is, however a wild and uncouth procedure.
They, - the plants, - all mostly, - anyway, have different requirements, so
the best and only procedure is to find the plant's name and then look it up
in a book. You have to consider what you want the plant to do , i.e have a
big wide spread , or climb high or whatever, then you know what you are
doing and can prune it to what you foresee, - (if you are lucky!).
I apologise for this poor answer, but so many other factors intervene when
you are trying to train climbing plants so just get "stuck-in", do your best
and , "enjoy", - no matter what!. That's true gardening! , - Good
luck!.
Doug Denny.