Old 16-11-2007, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DB01 DB01 is offline

Default pruning

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
doug wrote:
"DB01" wrote in message
Hi all
I need some advice as to when and how to prune the following-

lavender
hydrangea
buddleia
clematis
small bush rose
climbing rose

all produced lots of flowers this year. Do I need to feed now or
next spring

TIA

---------------------------------

Most people just chop off in autumn about a foot or less above ground.
This method is, however a wild and uncouth procedure.
They, - the plants, - all mostly, - anyway, have different
requirements, so the best and only procedure is to find the plant's
name and then look it up in a book. You have to consider what you
want the plant to do , i.e have a big wide spread , or climb high or
whatever, then you know what you are doing and can prune it to what
you foresee, - (if you are lucky!).
I apologise for this poor answer, but so many other factors intervene
when you are trying to train climbing plants so just get "stuck-in",
do your best and , "enjoy", - no matter what!. That's true
gardening! , - Good luck!.
Doug Denny.
-----------------------------

Sensible advice. The only thing I would add is that once you have pruned
the plants, it would do no harm to take a cutting or two from the
prunings - just in case. They may not strike, but if they do, and you lose
the original plant, as least you have the makings of a new plant.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

many thanx,
just one more thing-
when and what should I feed/mulch the plants