Old 17-11-2007, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Can anyone ID a black shiney insect?

On Nov 17, 8:55 am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

I am hoping that someone will recognise this strange insect and put my
mind at rest.
Black, shiney, 3 segment, legs(?how many), 1/2-2inches long, curled
pointed/pincer tail.
Seen running at a fair pace across our tarmac drive towards the lawn.
Could it be a scorpian? That is the only thing I've ever seen that I
can liken it to.
Thanks for any help
Amanda

--
amandah

There are scorpions in the uk but it sounds rather like a "Devils
Coachman" try googling images of both things and see which it most
resembled

That is what it is (Devil's Coach Horse Beetle or Coachman); family
Staphylinidae.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -