Old 17-11-2007, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter has arrived

Really hard frost here last night. Possibility of snow tomorrow!

The Gunnera Manicata leaves have all turned black and soft, so folded
those over the crown and buried it in leaves until Spring. Tree ferns
look happy enough but wrapped them up in fleece now.

The olive tree (a mere whip of a trunk) has a length of sponge pipe
lagging up it's trunk, and that looks cosy enough for the moment.

The mice must be finding it cold too - I keep gardening shoes and
leather gloves in a lean-to. One of the shoes was stuffed full of leaves
as was one of the gloves. While I can appreciate these may be des-res
apartments for mice in Winter why do they feel it necessary to crap
inside them too? :-(

--
David in Normandy