Old 17-11-2007, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter has arrived

Really hard frost here last night. Possibility of snow tomorrow!

The Gunnera Manicata leaves have all turned black and soft, so folded
those over the crown and buried it in leaves until Spring. Tree ferns
look happy enough but wrapped them up in fleece now.

The olive tree (a mere whip of a trunk) has a length of sponge pipe
lagging up it's trunk, and that looks cosy enough for the moment.

The mice must be finding it cold too - I keep gardening shoes and
leather gloves in a lean-to. One of the shoes was stuffed full of leaves
as was one of the gloves. While I can appreciate these may be des-res
apartments for mice in Winter why do they feel it necessary to crap
inside them too? :-(

--
David in Normandy
Old 17-11-2007, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message

The mice must be finding it cold too - I keep gardening shoes and
leather gloves in a lean-to. One of the shoes was stuffed full of leaves
as was one of the gloves. While I can appreciate these may be des-res
apartments for mice in Winter why do they feel it necessary to crap
inside them too? :-(

That's the French for you!

Mary

Old 17-11-2007, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mary Fisher
says...

"David in Normandy" wrote in message

The mice must be finding it cold too - I keep gardening shoes and
leather gloves in a lean-to. One of the shoes was stuffed full of leaves
as was one of the gloves. While I can appreciate these may be des-res
apartments for mice in Winter why do they feel it necessary to crap
inside them too? :-(

That's the French for you!

Mary

Perhaps French mice dislike the English. I can just picture them
chuckling to themselves and saying "I make poo in your English gloves".
--
David in Normandy
Old 17-11-2007, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
:: Really hard frost here last night. Possibility of snow tomorrow!

Only the slightest spots of frost around here although it feels cold. I was
surprised, I thought you had milder weather like us in the south west

Old 17-11-2007, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Robert (Plymouth)
says...
David in Normandy wrote:
:: Really hard frost here last night. Possibility of snow tomorrow!

Only the slightest spots of frost around here although it feels cold. I was
surprised, I thought you had milder weather like us in the south west

Where the sun has not shone today there is still frost on the ground
this evening. Brrrr!

With all this climate change and us only living here for just over two
years it is difficult to be definitive about the difference in weather
compared to the UK, but my feeling is that the seasons are a bit more
well defined here; colder Winters and warmer Summers.
--
David in Normandy

Old 17-11-2007, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
The mice must be finding it cold too - I keep gardening shoes and
leather gloves in a lean-to. One of the shoes was stuffed full of
leaves as was one of the gloves. While I can appreciate these may be
des-res apartments for mice in Winter why do they feel it necessary
to crap inside them too? :-(

I always roll my gardening gloves. Not because of mice, but spiders. All
gone now, but earlier autumn, there was hundreds of 'em in my garden, shed,
and house. Hate the bu**ers!
--
Pete C
London, UK

Old 17-11-2007, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 17, 9:33 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
David in Normandy wrote:
The mice must be finding it cold too - I keep gardening shoes and
leather gloves in a lean-to. One of the shoes was stuffed full of
leaves as was one of the gloves. While I can appreciate these may be
des-res apartments for mice in Winter why do they feel it necessary
to crap inside them too? :-(

I always roll my gardening gloves. Not because of mice, but spiders. All
gone now, but earlier autumn, there was hundreds of 'em in my garden, shed,
and house. Hate the bu**ers!
--
Pete C
London, UK

I can't believe it - I have been looking for you for ages to thank you
for the bluebells, and you turn up twice in one day !!

Judith
Old 17-11-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/11/07 23:12, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 17/11/07 21:33, in article
, "Pete C"
wrote:

David in Normandy wrote:
The mice must be finding it cold too - I keep gardening shoes and
leather gloves in a lean-to. One of the shoes was stuffed full of
leaves as was one of the gloves. While I can appreciate these may be
des-res apartments for mice in Winter why do they feel it necessary
to crap inside them too? :-(
I always roll my gardening gloves. Not because of mice, but spiders. All
gone now, but earlier autumn, there was hundreds of 'em in my garden, shed,
and house. Hate the bu**ers!

Me too. Ray always shakes out my wellies and gardening coat for me before I
put them on!

How can you possibly get through a day in September and October without
having to push through hundreds of webs at face level? they seem to love
the greenhouses and tunnels :~)

I have a cunning plan. I go out after everyone else. I don't get paid so I
suit myself! ;-)) I can cope with the webs, it's the inhabitants I don't
want to meet. Even then, garden spiders don't bother me in the same way as
those gigantic house things. Ray threw one of his pillows out of bed the
other night, as is his habit before sleeping, and as I walked past it I saw
Son of Dracula clinging to the lace edge. How Ray didn't see that I cannot
imagine as I am now on 'full spider alert'. That beastie went into orbit
out of the bedroom window pdq, I can tell you! One of our nursery staff
will do absolutely any job thrown at her but she begs not to work in the
Fuchsia house because she swears that spiders have an affinity with Fuchsias
and spend more time there than anywhere else. Of course, this might be why
a lot of blackbirds nest in there, too. ;-)
In the house we mostly get those tiny pin-bodied, thready leg things but
when we were re-wiring part of it once, the electrician (who hated spiders)
emerged from under the floorboards and said "they're breeding with lobsters
down there"!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-11-2007, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
[...]

I tried the same cunning plan with Liz but she is shorter than me so I
still get a faceful! I don't mind the spiders its the webs in the face I
find annoying.
Those big house spiders are to this family always known as "Freds" My
daughter who objected to sharing her bed with them would scream for its
removal so I would go up and evict it from her room, she now claims this
was a waste of time as once I had gone back down stairs she would watch
it come back under the door :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 18-11-2007, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
David in Normandy wrote:
The mice must be finding it cold too - I keep gardening shoes and
leather gloves in a lean-to. One of the shoes was stuffed full of
leaves as was one of the gloves. While I can appreciate these may be
des-res apartments for mice in Winter why do they feel it necessary
to crap inside them too? :-(

I always roll my gardening gloves. Not because of mice, but spiders. All
gone now, but earlier autumn, there was hundreds of 'em in my garden,
shed, and house. Hate the bu**ers!
--
Pete C
London, UK

I roll gloves because I once was stung by a hibernating queen wasp who'd
made a home in a finger.

It was interesting - but painful.

Mary

Old 18-11-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/07 09:04, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

Just imagine choosing a wife so that she'd get the webs before you did!

Those big house spiders are to this family always known as "Freds" My
daughter who objected to sharing her bed with them would scream for its
removal so I would go up and evict it from her room, she now claims this
was a waste of time as once I had gone back down stairs she would watch
it come back under the door :~)

I always tell Ray, as he chucks them out the window, that they'll be back
inside before he's back in bed! ;-)
Back in the 60s when all self-respecting disco queens wore false eyelashes,
my mother heard an almighty shout from my bedroom followed by a series of
loud thuds. My stepfather, who had kindly gone in to turn the fire on
before I got home from a party, emerged looking quite shaken (he hated
spiders) and said "Sacha is going to be so relieved I found that spider on
her dressing table before she did". Looking over his shoulder, my mother
said "Well done. You've just killed one of her false eyelashes".
But he *really* got his comeuppance on another evening when I was out late.
He put a plastic spider on my carpet, thinking that when I came in I'd come
upstairs, see the spider and get the boyfriend to come and deal with it.
Unfortunately, I'd packed him off home as soon as he'd dropped me at the
door. It was around 2.30am when I saw the spider from the bedroom door, let
out a yell, went and woke the parents and watched in astonishment as my
aracnophobe, half asleep stepfather scooped up the spider in his bare hand.
Seconds later, he admitted he'd been hoist by his own petard. ;-)

Old 18-11-2007, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
:: Really hard frost here last night. Possibility of snow tomorrow!

Only the slightest spots of frost around here although it feels cold. I
was
surprised, I thought you had milder weather like us in the south west

Where the sun has not shone today there is still frost on the ground
this evening. Brrrr!

With all this climate change and us only living here for just over two
years it is difficult to be definitive about the difference in weather
compared to the UK, but my feeling is that the seasons are a bit more
well defined here; colder Winters and warmer Summers.
--

The seasons here, in western Canada, are extremely well marked. Wags will
say we have 3 months of summer and 9 of winter but Spring and Fall are well

Old 18-11-2007, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article g3Z%i.8230$cD.2738@pd7urf2no,
"graham" writes:

| The seasons here, in western Canada, are extremely well marked. Wags will
| say we have 3 months of summer and 9 of winter but Spring and Fall are well
| delineated. Because of this, time seems to pass that much more quickly.
| However, I wonder if this sense is also a function of one's age{;-(

I thought that it was 9 months of winter and 3 of poor sledding :-)

In the UK, it seems to be 6 months of winter, and 6 months of a jumble
of spring, summer and autumn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Has summer arrived? Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 24 03-09-2012 04:26 PM
Warmer weather has arrived! Lilah Morgan[_2_] Edible Gardening 0 18-04-2009 05:46 AM
John Cabot arrived! Kim Roses 1 24-04-2003 08:20 PM
Spring has definately arrived in our garden subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 11:20 PM
Shumway order arrived Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 2 30-03-2003 07:20 PM