Old 18-11-2007, 07:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Busy weekend?

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:29:39 CST, ~ jan wrote:

So what did you do this weekend, shop, pond, lounge in front of the TV?

We just got through a rather abnormal freeze this year. Here in
northern Florida we generally get a few nights that dip below freezing
in the winter, but rarely does one come this early. Well, it was sort
of a semi-freeze here. I have several outdoor recording thermometers
and they said it got down to 30 or even 29, but some of the plants
that usually get nuked by freezing temperatures made it. Most of the
elephant ears got nailed, and nailed good. You can look at them an
tell they won't be coming back anytime this year. But then on the
other side of the pond is an elephant ear that looks unscathed. The
cannas, which were still blooming Thursday, got turned completely
brown. I won't be seeing any green there until next year. But there
is a grass-like plant with purple flowers and a bottle brush plant
with red flowers and there are even a bunch of butterflies that made
it. There are even a few dragonflies out buzzing over the pond as
well. So we had a "killing" freeze, but it is obvious that some
places remained survivably warm.
--
Galen Hekhuis
I may have mispoken