Old 18-11-2007, 10:03 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

Default pregnant lemon

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"SG1" wrote in message
My lemon tree has conceived for the first time, any special dietary
needs??????

Citrus are fairly heavy feeders, you should fertlise during the growing
season. Use a commercial citrus food or your favourite manure mix (eg
dynamic
lifter) if you are organic, whatever it is should have a fair bit of
nitrogen
available. I assume that you are in Oz so that is now (unless you just
did
it) and again in January. Some will fertilise smaller amounts 4 or 5
times
during spring and summer. Don't over-do it or the leaves will fall off
and
your tree will be very sick.

Keep the moisture reasonably even, neither too wet nor too dry. You
cannot
help it if you get heavy rain but you should prevent moisture stress from
dryness, or major swings from very wet to very dry, or the reverse.
Moisture
shock will reduce production and may make the fruit fall. I don't mean
you
should water lightly, deep watering is still the best, just keep an eye on
soil moisture, particularly in hot weather. Mulch heavily but not
touching
the trunk.

Inspect every other day at least for leaf miners, grubs and other pests,
especially on new growth. Heavy damage to leaves will reduce your crop.
Spiders are allies.

David

Thanks David. Will give it a bit of the pellatised chook poop. The bad news
is most of my much has gone to humus, but I will round up some.
Jim