Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Chris Garvey

Default Clay Soil Answer

Jane VR wrote:
: Heather Edwards wrote:
: I notice a couple of posts about clay soil please see my reply re
: Pittosperum.... You can add gypsum if a ped of the soil soaked in a glass of
: water (simply drop it in) turns cloudy and remains cloudy the next day. Also
: aeration and mulching and organic matter such as manure added will help
: improve the soil. Best of luck all Heather.

: I remember this differently, though it was along time ago and I'm
: probably wrong. Something like - drop piece of soil in the glass -
: something happens or doesn't happen (little cloud of dirt appears around
: clump of soil, or doesn't) - put gypsum in - wait (up to 24 hrs) - if
: there is a change (cloud of dirt disappears or appears), gypsum is
: useful, if no effect, then not. I'm a bit vague on the details but I
: definitly remember putting the gypsum in and going 'oooh, aahh' when it
: changed what was happening.

: Jane

This is perfectly correct. This is a test for a dispersive soil which
will have poor structure and unstable peds. usually the result of
sodium, Calcium in the gypsum replaces the sodium on the clay surfaces.

regards

erastothenes

--
(:

Taking the "paranoid" out of "delusion".
icq #107970956