Old 20-11-2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default was: - is: fall activities

Jim wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Jim wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[....]
Better things to do than die for a tree..
the really nice thing about it all is how one may be
given information however, they always have their own
God given freewill to do or react as they choose.
freedom, to live or die for a tree.

so, how's your garden this time of year?

Oh just fine.. Leaves have almost all fallen from the Pecan tree and the
Oak is turning a nice dark brown..

saturday while in the forest collecting what will become
firewood the leaves were falling as if they were rain drops
in a lite but steady down pour. with the mixture of yellow
and red in the air it was a beautiful sight to pause and take
note of.

Bet that was a picture perfect moment.. Get a camera next time..

I used to live in PA near Ligonier which is right up in the mountain
range.. Remember as a kid making trips to see the leaves & always
stopping by to get some fresh maple candy.. Also always stopped by a
spring that came out of the side of the mountain to get fresh drinking
water.

I've still got mums that we picked up
at Lowes for .99/ea that I need to get in the ground..

several years ago I discovered much to my delight how
mums benefit from lime applied during their being transferred
from their transport packaging into the ground.

Really.. I'll have to give that a try.. Just a cup or so sprinkled in
the hole?

Going to start raking leaves soon for leaf mold, plus overwinter piles
for on top of said mums..

might I suggest, if possible mulch the leaves with a mulching
mower. convert mulching mower into bagging mower, bag mulched
leaves and then pour the mulched leaves around the base of the
newly planted mums.

That's a good suggestion... Actually what I planned on doing instead of
raking some sections of the yard. Just putting the mower at the highest
setting and installing the bag to catch it all..

Really saves time on having to wait for them to naturally break down and
the more compact pile makes a great insulator.

So how about you and yours?

dormant at this time. no fall cool weather crop this year.