Old 20-11-2007, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Ivy

Jeff Layman wrote:
Outdoor wrote:
My Ivy has ran wild, while I wans't looking over th last 5 years
Now that I notice it it has spread right up the side of the house and
across the roof tiles, is it safe or will it destroy the roof?

I doubt it will do any damage. Trying to pull it off will do a lot more
damage than leaving it. It may be keeping loose tiles in place and stopping
them falling off!

If you really want to get rid of it, cut it away without pulling. If that's
not a real option, the only way would be to spray it with glyphosate or some
other powerful weedkiller and let it die off. It would leave a mess for
quite some time...

I took one off a neighbour's wall that was at least 30 years old. Dug
the roots out in the spring, left the rest to die off for 6 months, then
used a 4" scraper and a garden spade to separate it from the brickwork.
No damage to the pointing, but it was fiddly getting it out from behind
the guttering.