Old 19-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Scotland
Default Ivy

My Ivy has ran wild, while I wans't looking over th last 5 years
Now that I notice it it has spread right up the side of the house and across the roof tiles, is it safe or will it destroy the roof?
Old 20-11-2007, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Outdoor wrote:
My Ivy has ran wild, while I wans't looking over th last 5 years
Now that I notice it it has spread right up the side of the house and
across the roof tiles, is it safe or will it destroy the roof?

I doubt it will do any damage. Trying to pull it off will do a lot more
damage than leaving it. It may be keeping loose tiles in place and stopping
them falling off!

If you really want to get rid of it, cut it away without pulling. If that's
not a real option, the only way would be to spray it with glyphosate or some
other powerful weedkiller and let it die off. It would leave a mess for
quite some time...

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 20-11-2007, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
Outdoor wrote:
My Ivy has ran wild, while I wans't looking over th last 5 years
Now that I notice it it has spread right up the side of the house and
across the roof tiles, is it safe or will it destroy the roof?

I doubt it will do any damage. Trying to pull it off will do a lot more
damage than leaving it. It may be keeping loose tiles in place and stopping
them falling off!

If you really want to get rid of it, cut it away without pulling. If that's
not a real option, the only way would be to spray it with glyphosate or some
other powerful weedkiller and let it die off. It would leave a mess for
quite some time...

I took one off a neighbour's wall that was at least 30 years old. Dug
the roots out in the spring, left the rest to die off for 6 months, then
used a 4" scraper and a garden spade to separate it from the brickwork.
No damage to the pointing, but it was fiddly getting it out from behind
the guttering.
Old 21-11-2007, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 19, 6:34 pm, Outdoor
wrote:
My Ivy has ran wild, while I wans't looking over th last 5 years
Now that I notice it it has spread right up the side of the house and
across the roof tiles, is it safe or will it destroy the roof?

--
Outdoor

What I hear is that if the walls etc are in good condition then it
will actually protect the wall to some extent but if it gets under
tiles etc then it will lift them.
Old 22-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

I have to do this a lot, one of my least favourite jobs...

From what I have seen, yes, it WILL eventually damage your roof, by getting between the tiles and, as Sasha said, the thickening of the stems then forces the tiles apart.

In your situation, I'd pay a window cleaner to go up a ladder and cut it just below the gutters, taking care to cut every stem. I'd then cut every stem myself, at a lower level, wait until the leaves go brown then lever off one stem at a time - if you pull them downwards and outwards, you can often get great long streamers of them off (hence the "cut at the top" advice, to avoid damaging the roof/gutters).

Then you can, if necessary, pay a roofing company to go up and check the roof, removing the dying ivy that's up there, and replacing any damaged tiles/gutters. Hopefully you will have caught it before there's much damage.

NB if you live in a bungalow, you can do most of this yourself!!

The urban myth about ivy damaging walls relates to the days of soft lime mortar: modern mortar is pretty impregnable BUT in my opinion I'd take the ivy right down anyway as it holds dampness and insects against the bricks.

Good luck with the job.

Oh, and yes, I'd also dig the root out and spray any tiny re-growth with glyphosate-based weedkiller ie Round-up.

Rachel
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales
Old 24-11-2007, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rachel Aitch" wrote in message

The urban myth about ivy damaging walls relates to the days of soft
lime mortar: modern mortar is pretty impregnable BUT in my opinion I'd
take the ivy right down anyway as it holds dampness and insects against
the bricks.

The walls under my ivies are bone dry- but yes, they are host to insects and
spiders. And birds, so I'm happy.

I took down the ivy on the house because while I enjoyed the annual routine
of maintenance I realised that as I age it won't always be possible. The
only ivies we have now are on the garden wall.

Mary

Old 24-11-2007, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| "Rachel Aitch" wrote in message
|
| The urban myth about ivy damaging walls relates to the days of soft
| lime mortar: modern mortar is pretty impregnable BUT in my opinion I'd
| take the ivy right down anyway as it holds dampness and insects against
| the bricks.
|
| The walls under my ivies are bone dry- but yes, they are host to insects and
| spiders. And birds, so I'm happy.

Whenever this has come up before, it has been pointed out that ivy
usually keeps the wall drier than it would be otherwise, but sometimes
makes it wetter. It all depends on the circumstances.

And, of course, bricks are not damaged by either spiders or insects
though, if global warming continues apace, people in some parts of
Lincolnshire and similar locations may have to worry about their
brickwork being damaged by teredo.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM