Old 20-11-2007, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fuschia Fuschia is offline

Default Ivy

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:49:22 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 19/11/07 18:34, in article , "Outdoor"
wrote:

My Ivy has ran wild, while I wans't looking over th last 5 years
Now that I notice it it has spread right up the side of the house and
across the roof tiles, is it safe or will it destroy the roof?

As the ivy matures and stems thicken I would have thought it would do a lot
of damage to tiles, guttering and drain pipes. Don't pull it off, or not
yet. Cut it at the desired height and leave to die back, then get it off.

We pulled living ivy off our red brick house, and it left a terrible
mess behind. I wish now that we had cut it and let it dry out first. A
lesson learned!