Old 22-11-2007, 02:45 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Trees/shrubs that deter grass? Help, anyone?

Trish Brown writes:
My Mum has a Callistemon citrinus growing at her place and for years,
she's failed to get the lawn to grow beneath it. Recently, someone told
her that C.citrinus actually deters the growth of grass and other plants
in its shadow.

What a scathingly brilliant idea!

A ground-cover that produces its own weed-retardent and is hardy and
drought-resistant, prunable, self-propagating, kid-repellant, has flowers
that don't attract bees, while offering protection to garden lizards and
small wrens: LANTANA !!!