Old 22-11-2007, 05:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] rainman@mailinator.com is offline

Default name this tree

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 02:45:48 +0000 (UTC), John Savage wrote:

There's a tree I've seen growing on nature strips and parks. In size
and shape it could pass as a plum tree, and its leaf size and shape
and density of foliage is very similar to that of the plum, too. But
this tree has distinctive red leaves, a very dark red. And right now
it is fruiting, the fruit resembles a dark cherry only it is egg-shaped
instead of being round. I have broken one open and it contains a red
stone about the size of a cherry stone, within crisp flesh just like
a cherry that's not yet ripe.

I haven't seen any sign of the fruit having been sampled by birds, so
maybe it is not edible or just not yet ripe.

Anyone know the tree's name?

(For the jokesters: I am quite sure it's not Fred, nor Joan, nor Myrtle!)

Prunus Nigra?