Old 22-11-2007, 10:37 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Sean Houtman Sean Houtman is offline

Default ID requested for pink flower in garden

"mel turner" wrote in news:fi4oc0$4ap$1
@gargoyle.oit.duke.edu:

"Richard Wright" wrote in message
This flower is coming up in early summer in a warm temperate garden.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gdzf2ncm01.jpg

Can anybody give me a lead to its ID? I can't even begin to recognise
the family.

The family is Onagraceae, I'm reasonably sure.
Might it be a low-growing Oenothera species?
The flower in the photo appears abnormal or "semi-double",
with a few extra petallike organs.

After googling for images, this one looks fairly close:
http://www.robsplants.com/plants/OenotKunth.php

cheers

I agree with Onagraceae, but not Oenothera, the hypanthium is shorter than
most of the other white or pink Oenotheras. I suspect that it might be a
hybrid between an Epilobium and an Oenothera, or perhaps Clarkia. Since we
don't know where the warm temperate garden is, we may never become sure.

Sean