Old 22-11-2007, 07:06 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default ID requested for pink flower in garden

This flower is coming up in early summer in a warm temperate garden.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gdzf2ncm01.jpg

Can anybody give me a lead to its ID? I can't even begin to recognise
the family.
Old 22-11-2007, 07:56 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message , Richard Wright
writes
This flower is coming up in early summer in a warm temperate garden.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gdzf2ncm01.jpg

Can anybody give me a lead to its ID? I can't even begin to recognise
the family.

This may well be a false lead, but what comes to mind is Impatiens
(Balsaminaceae).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-11-2007, 08:21 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Richard Wright" wrote in message
This flower is coming up in early summer in a warm temperate garden.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gdzf2ncm01.jpg

Can anybody give me a lead to its ID? I can't even begin to recognise
the family.

The family is Onagraceae, I'm reasonably sure.
Might it be a low-growing Oenothera species?
The flower in the photo appears abnormal or "semi-double",
with a few extra petallike organs.

After googling for images, this one looks fairly close:
http://www.robsplants.com/plants/OenotKunth.php

cheers

Old 22-11-2007, 10:37 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

"mel turner" wrote in news:fi4oc0$4ap$1
@gargoyle.oit.duke.edu:

"Richard Wright" wrote in message
This flower is coming up in early summer in a warm temperate garden.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gdzf2ncm01.jpg

Can anybody give me a lead to its ID? I can't even begin to recognise
the family.

The family is Onagraceae, I'm reasonably sure.
Might it be a low-growing Oenothera species?
The flower in the photo appears abnormal or "semi-double",
with a few extra petallike organs.

After googling for images, this one looks fairly close:
http://www.robsplants.com/plants/OenotKunth.php

cheers

I agree with Onagraceae, but not Oenothera, the hypanthium is shorter than
most of the other white or pink Oenotheras. I suspect that it might be a
hybrid between an Epilobium and an Oenothera, or perhaps Clarkia. Since we
don't know where the warm temperate garden is, we may never become sure.

Sean

Old 23-11-2007, 01:24 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

"Sean Houtman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion. How about _Clarkia amoena_, aka "Godetia"?
It's widely cultivated, apparently includes numerous horticultural
forms of various colors, and also includes double-flowered cultivars,
which may explain the irregularity of the flower in the photo:

http://images.google.com/images?q=godetia
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...rkia+amoena%22
http://www.google.com/search?q=godetia
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22clarkia+amoena%22

cheers

Old 23-11-2007, 04:55 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

"mel turner" wrote in
:

[...]

Clarkia amoena is also called "farewell to spring" which matches the
posted flowering date, and Clarkias often have clawed petals, as the
photo provided does.

Sean

Old 23-11-2007, 06:26 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 06:06:21 +1100, Richard Wright
wrote:

This flower is coming up in early summer in a warm temperate garden.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gdzf2ncm01.jpg

Can anybody give me a lead to its ID? I can't even begin to recognise
the family.

Thanks everyone for those leads. I ended up with Clarkia unguiculata.

I can't fault the photo at

http://www.birdmom.net/WildflowersOr...gant,DblCU.jpg
Old 23-11-2007, 08:49 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

wrote:

This flower is coming up in early summer in a warm temperate garden.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gdzf2ncm01.jpg

Can anybody give me a lead to its ID? I can't even begin to recognise
the family.

Thanks everyone for those leads. I ended up with Clarkia unguiculata.

I can't fault the photo at

http://www.birdmom.net/WildflowersOr...gant,DblCU.jpg

And C. unguiculata also has double-flowered variants as
in your original photo:

http://www.birdmom.net/wildflowerspurple.html
http://www.birdmom.net/WildflowersPu...ant,Dblvar.jpg
http://www.birdmom.net/WildflowersPi...,DblPinkCU.jpg

Oops, I see that's the same site you found,
and your image from it is also of a double flower.
Nevermind.

cheers