Old 23-11-2007, 04:55 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Sean Houtman Sean Houtman is offline

Default ID requested for pink flower in garden

"mel turner" wrote in
:

"Sean Houtman" wrote in message
"mel turner" wrote in
news:fi4oc0$4ap$1 @gargoyle.oit.duke.edu:

"Richard Wright" wrote in message
This flower is coming up in early summer in a warm temperate
garden.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/gdzf2ncm01.jpg

Can anybody give me a lead to its ID? I can't even begin to
recognise the family.

The family is Onagraceae, I'm reasonably sure.
Might it be a low-growing Oenothera species?
The flower in the photo appears abnormal or "semi-double",
with a few extra petallike organs.

After googling for images, this one looks fairly close:
http://www.robsplants.com/plants/OenotKunth.php

I agree with Onagraceae, but not Oenothera, the hypanthium is
shorter than most of the other white or pink Oenotheras. I suspect
that it might be a hybrid between an Epilobium and an Oenothera, or
perhaps Clarkia. Since we don't know where the warm temperate
garden is, we may never become sure.

Thanks for the suggestion. How about _Clarkia amoena_, aka "Godetia"?
It's widely cultivated, apparently includes numerous horticultural
forms of various colors, and also includes double-flowered cultivars,
which may explain the irregularity of the flower in the photo:

http://images.google.com/images?q=godetia
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...rkia+amoena%22
http://www.google.com/search?q=godetia
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22clarkia+amoena%22

cheers

Clarkia amoena is also called "farewell to spring" which matches the
posted flowering date, and Clarkias often have clawed petals, as the
photo provided does.

Sean