Old 24-11-2007, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Ivy

"Rachel Aitch" wrote in message

The urban myth about ivy damaging walls relates to the days of soft
lime mortar: modern mortar is pretty impregnable BUT in my opinion I'd
take the ivy right down anyway as it holds dampness and insects against
the bricks.

The walls under my ivies are bone dry- but yes, they are host to insects and
spiders. And birds, so I'm happy.

I took down the ivy on the house because while I enjoyed the annual routine
of maintenance I realised that as I age it won't always be possible. The
only ivies we have now are on the garden wall.

Mary