Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
AY

Default Spuds - when to harvest?

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:56:19 GMT, (Tom Elliott)
wrote:

I planted a variety of potatoes I had in my cupboard - they were all
growing shoots so I thought I'd give them a chance.

After a long time of inactivity, they suddenly threw up a huge cluster
of large and healthy looking leaves. Now they are flowering.

My question is - when do I harvest? I haven't grown potatoes before,
so I'm clueless as to when to start digging for them.

If you see the soil rising / cracking under the plants then there's
probably spuds there. You can do a little gentle fossicking
underneath to find out whats there! This is the best way to get the
smaller ('gourmet') potatoes. You can also grab any large ones if
you're in need to a feed!