Old 25-11-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default lavenders

I had a really interesting newsletter from Downderry nurseries over the
weekend. They hold one of the national collections for lavenders and
they gave some interesting facts.
I never knew that people exhibiting at Chelsea and Hampton court could
source their plants from anywhere they liked so the fact that their
plants got top marks for quality meant that someone somewhere was not
getting the Accord due to them!
I assume they refer to the gardens but surely not the nurseries on
display?

They also gave some interesting tips about misnamed lavenders and name
changes for marketing purposes.
Pruning they said (to quote them)

"Top Tip
By now if your lavenders haven't been pruned......don't, with the
exception of the large silver-leaved Dutch Group,*often referred to*by
it's old name*Vera. Flower stems can be removed even now, but leave the
beautiful foliage to brighten-up a winters' day. In the spring when the
saps up just trim off a hands' width of foliage to keep the plants in
shape. This is the only lavender we'd recommend pruning in spring
because it flowers too late for early autumn pruning."

If anyone would like to see the email/letter in full I'll be happy to
forward it on.It does actually make me keen to buy from them again as
they seem to care about their plants.
Perhaps we ought to have a Hill House biyearly newsletter and tips for
growing Sacha?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy