Old 25-11-2007, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alistair Macdonald Alistair Macdonald is offline

Default Bitter pit

Thanks for the advice. However my trees are 30/35 years old and although
pruned annually, are anything but saplings.They are well established, fruit
handsomely and look healthy - all the way to the bitter pit. I feel,
probably quite wrongly that there could be another remedial treatment. My
stamping ground is Kent, if it matters.
Alistair.
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
Apparently my Bramleys are being attacked by bitter pit, and my gardening
encyclopaedia recommends "spray with calcium nitrate every ten days from
early summer until harvesting" This for me would be a mammoth task. Is
there
any procedure to treat the trees with calcium nitrate to the roots?
Alistair

The advice is sound, you can of course cure the problem using control of
water, young trees are especially prone and the trick is to keep the
water supply constant. They often just grow out of it.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk