Old 26-11-2007, 12:48 PM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default name this tree

"GreenieLeBrun" writes:
John Savage wrote:
There's a tree I've seen growing on nature strips and parks. In size
and shape it could pass as a plum tree, and its leaf size and shape
and density of foliage is very similar to that of the plum, too. But
this tree has distinctive red leaves, a very dark red. And right now

Prunus cerasifera ‘Nigra’ (Purple-leaved Cherry-plum)

See

Spot on! Thanks to others who answered, too. Anyone tried to make jam
from the fruit? If so, did you try to remove the skin first?