Old 27-11-2007, 04:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default name this tree

John, my grandmother used to make jam from this fruit, but it took lots
of sugar (not as sweet as other plums) and the skins were tough as
boots, so yes, I'd remove the skin.

Bronwyn ;-)

John Savage wrote:
"GreenieLeBrun" writes:

John Savage wrote:

There's a tree I've seen growing on nature strips and parks. In size
and shape it could pass as a plum tree, and its leaf size and shape
and density of foliage is very similar to that of the plum, too. But
this tree has distinctive red leaves, a very dark red. And right now

Prunus cerasifera ‘Nigra’ (Purple-leaved Cherry-plum)

See

Spot on! Thanks to others who answered, too. Anyone tried to make jam
from the fruit? If so, did you try to remove the skin first?