Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Adam Webster

Default sad ficus

ok thanks
i have a nice greenhouse which goes to 50F at night ...70F in day (which
is 10 to 25 Centigrade

Chris Garvey wrote:
Adam Webster wrote:
: Recently I neglected a poor (big beautiful) ficus, which promptly
: dropped EVERY leaf with the exception of one branch. I now have a
: beautiful twisted braided trunk that is big and thick with one little
: sad branch coming out. New growth abounds on this new branch, but here
: is the $1MM question(s):
: a) will it live
: b) how do I encourage "new" branches (surely it can't grow through one
: branch?)
: c) how much TLC will it require to make it
: Sadly untalented in matters green,

: Everything is dead with the exception of this one small branch, but I
: would like to recover this plant in order to not slander its benefactors
: spirit (it was given to me.)

: Neglect was a .. ahem.. frosty night in Maine in October.

I suspect that very few gardeners in australia would have experience of
frosts of that magnitude and if you have enough warmth and sunlight to
revive it until next warm season. I have seen ficus sp. drop all their
leaves (for other reasons) and happily spring back next spring. Your
best shot would be to care for as normal.

regards

erastothenes