Old 28-11-2007, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug doug is offline

Default Is my apple tree sick?

"Nick Powell" wrote in message

Hey all,

Thanks all for the very sound advice.

I've decided to keep the tree and see if I can make it improve for next
Summer. I'll give it a prune come late December (as directed above) +
I'll follow the other instructions.

In terms of general health of the tree, I'm assumming it's easier to
see when it has leaves and or fruit.

Thanks again

Nick

Nick Powell

--------------------

Just a friendly small comment for the consideration of yourself and the
Symposium!.
You don't have to do this, and 'each to his own' methods of course but this
is what I do.
When the apple tree has flowered and the little petals gone, little apples
grow in bunches on their stems.
There are always too many on one stem. My reasoning is, -
In my opinion too many on the stem are to the detriment of the full "Crop"
because the smallest little apples in each bunch don't really mature
properly and eventually will be chucked out.. Those little runts will waste
good sap which is merely heading for the compost bin. Ergo, they aren't
going to "make it" and are holding back the size and quality of the big
survivers that will grace M'lady's table and kitchen,
Also remember that sometimes some trees take a rest each other year.so,
knowing this, - don't panic!.
Another thought!, - know that some trees like to have a compatible breed
alongside to fertilise them. You have to know which breed needs which.
Also know that I am a bum amateur , but, with professioals looking over my
shoulder, ...
I know my place!.
Doug.!